- Organ Procurement
United Network for Organ Sharing runs the nation’s transplant system matching lifesaving organs from deceased donors to patients on the national waiting list. These matches happen 24/7 through our headquarters in downtown Richmond. 80 lifesaving organ transplants take place daily in this country which translates to more than 29,000 transplants annually. In addition to the matching process UNOS also:
* maintains the national waiting list which currently includes 122,498 patients waiting for a lifesaving transplant
* creates national organ transplantation policy through 27 volunteer committees
* collects data on transplant recipients, deceased donors and living donors
* develops standards for our members which include 58 OPOs (Organ Procurement Organizations) and 248 transplant centers
* educates the public, transplant recipients, donor family members, living donors and transplant professionals through our websites, electronic communications and educational seminars.
UNOS touches every lifesaving transplant in this country, and is a non-profit (c)(3) organization that is partially funded by tax deductible contributions.
Whom to Contact
- Ms. Lisa SchaffnerPublic Relations & Marketing DirectorPhone: (804) 782-4630Fax: (804) 782-4816
UNOS is located at 4th and Jackson Streets in downtown Richmond, one block north of the Richmond Coliseum and Richmond Convention Center.